Department of Education Media Release
10 July 2012
To be attributed to Liz Banks, Deputy Secretary, Department of Education.
- The Workforce Renewal Incentive Program is designed to provide for workforce renewal associated with management of the department’s workforce.
- The Department considers expressions of interest on a case-by-case basis, including the operational requirements of the position, replacement options available and genuine renewal of the workforce.
- Vacancies are firstly filled by staff already employed within the department, for example substantive staff in roles no longer required, reducing the requirement to maintain staff on fixed term contracts.
- From the end of 2010 until 15 June 2012, 189 teaching staff had taken up the incentive. Only seven principals have taken up the incentive.
- Staff who receive an incentive payment are unable to reapply for appointment to a Tasmanian State Service position for a period of two years.
- Principal roles attract a salary based on the size of the school.