Department of Education Media Release
22 Aug 2012
To be attributed to Education Department Deputy Secretary Andrew Finch
• The Department of Education does have a robust internal control system around the administration of its financial operations.
• As well as an ongoing audit program, however over the past 10 years, the Department of Education has experienced a couple of cases of fraud.
• As part of a response to minimise any future occurrence of fraud, the Department has implemented a new centralised financial management system.
• This approach improves overall control of financial transactions. For example, rigorous electronic payment authorisation processes and strong central controls over the creation of creditors mean that the opportunities for inappropriate transactions and fraud are minimised.
• School resources are vital for the delivery of education programs in Tasmanian Government schools, and the Department is confident that the new improved system will help minimise any fraud risk.
• The Department is also pursuing repayment of the stolen funding through insurance arrangements.